Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sir Rowan and Camerian Conquest


Sir Rowan and Camerian Conquest by Chuck Black is a book recommended for youth/teens.

I got this book with my 13 year old son in mind. We home school and often read good books before bed. We alternate between history, history based fiction, Christan missionary biographies and Biblically themed books. One unique attribute to this book is the discussion and review questions (complete with answers) included in the back. Great for the busy home school mom, church teacher, etc.

Sir Rowan was very similar in theme to Paul Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress. The story is an allegory of the gospel message in the Bible. The characters fight against the Dark Knight ie. the Devil or Satan. The King is God and The Prince is Jesus.

My son, having already read The Sword The Ring and The Parchment by Ed Dunlop saw the similarities right away and lost interest in the book quickly. I think the book is well written and the plot was well laid out. I especially liked the use of the sword fighting that included technical terms used in fencing, as my son has recently taken fencing lessons.

I think a 10 to 13 year old boy would enjoy this book if he has not been previously exposed to Pilgrims Progress or another allegory of its kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment